People take a risk whenever they sign up their child for the boy scouts of America. There have been countless reports over the years that show that there have been levels of abuse inside of the organization. Sexual abuse, physical abuse and more have been documented by so-called caregivers. Oftentimes, the parents of the children who are being abused are not able to recognize the signs of abuse if they have occurred. Sexual abuse is some of the most common forms of abuse that happen in the boy scouts and it can have lasting ramifications on their mental health for the rest of their lives. These documented cases have led to boy scouts lawsuit cases that have diminished what power the Boy Scouts of America has.
Recognizing the signs of abuse can be rather difficult for someone who is not trained on the subject. While every case is different, a young child will showcase trauma through similar patterns than other people. Regardless of how it happens, the child who is affected by abuse may experience trauma that will take a lifetime to unfold.
Here are some common signs that your child is currently or going through sexual trauma at a very young age:
- They actively try to avoid certain adults as they do not wish to provoke them
- They have consistent nightmares about being left alone whenever they go to sleep out of fear of being assaulted
- Your child may end up not wanting to remove their clothing at any point in order to change outfits or bathe
- Clinging to primary caregivers as a safety response to being alone with other adults
- Too much of an understanding of sexual topics whenever a child their age should have no knowledge of this
These are some of the most common signs of sexual trauma in children. Unfortunately, there have been dozens of cases of abuse in the Boy Scouts of America over the years. Your child may have been at risk without you even realizing it. This is why it is important to take the time to talk to your child if they are showcasing any of the signs listed above. Confirmation that sexual abuse has or is happening must lead to a boy scouts lawsuit in order to seek justice over this situation. Proactiveness in this situation is the best way to ensure that your child does not go through the same trauma once again and that the perpetrators are brought to justice.