Environmental laws are practiced by many countries for the perseverance of nature and the healthy sustenance of human life. Some substances that are used in the manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment can be life-threatening if used beyond a certain threshold. For example, metals like Lead and Mercury are so dangerous that their permissible limit cannot go beyond 0.1% and some others like Cadmium are so so dangerous that the government sets their limits to no more than 0.01%.
There are hundreds and thousands of such high-risk substances. Hence, governments all across the world practice the RoHS compliance law (restriction of Hazardous substances). So, your first step as a manufacturer of EEE is to determine how much of a risk your products are. It might have been easier to overlook such laws a few decades ago, but it’s not the same anymore. Every product that you plan to introduce in the market (or even import) has to comply with ROHS and other laws like REACH and SVHC.
Overwhelmed already? Well, this isn’t even the tip of the iceberg. The ROHS law alone is so vast and complicated (and the permissible substances and their limit keep changing from time to time) that there’s no way you can do the testing without the help of experts. The different ways in which experts can, and do, help are as follows.
- They ask for and review every single document from every single supplier of yours to find out the products that are being used to prepare your products.
- No matter the substances are in hundreds or thousands, they go through every single one of them while making an audit on your behalf.
- They eliminate any substance that’s completely banned and ask to rectify if a substance is present in more than allowed quantity to minimize your losses.
- They prepare a detailed list of your supply chain management and document every single thing.
- These documents are then presented in front of an audit officer who then issues your products with a ROHS compliance certification. Without this certification, you cannot legally introduce your products to the market.
All in all, there’s no other way to ensure that you’ll necessarily get the compliance certification if the documenting procedure isn’t handled by the right firms like Enviropss. You can visit their website and use their form to get more details about everything you want to know!